Saturday

The Dreamer: Part 1

A fictional tale of Leanra

"Mirrors never tell the truth; only those with open eyes will see the underlying truth."
That was the last thing she told me before lifting the cover.
The silver mirror revealed my face, as it always did. I looked at my teacher. "I see myself."
She shook her head then covered the mirror again. "You're done for today. You no longer listen to my words. Go home."
Third day in a row to be sent home early. Why was I not making any progress? I walked down the road, contemplating the excuses and reasons. None of them made any sense in my mind. I thought my eyes were open.
Then I ran into a tree. Well, not really a tree. More of a man I knew all too well.
"I was wondering when you would come, Leanra," Laerr smiled. "It's been too long."
I stepped to the side, trying to walk around him. "Not long enough. Now let me pass."
To my surprise, he stepped aside. “Be my guest.”
He had never said that to me. It sure didn't sound like he meant it in the figurative sense. He wanted me to be his guest. “I'm busy tonight. I can't come over. You know that.”
“Yes, I do, and I also know that that's a lie. I'll expect you to be there around sundown. Good day, Leanra.”
And with that, Laerr finally walked away from me. I hugged myself and ran. I did not want to be anywhere near him longer than I had to. Yet, something about him drew me closer to him.
I had been close to him once, but that was long ago. We had both changed, but Laerr refused to see it. His eyes were closed to it.
No matter how hard I tried, I could not keep myself busy enough to miss Laerr's invitation. Everything I tried took a fraction of the time I thought it would take. There was no avoiding it now. The Sun was beginning to set.
With hesitance, I walked over to his house. When I arrived on his doorstep, the door swung open. Bright light lit the inside of the house, creating Laerr's dark silhouette. “I knew you'd make it.”
I stepped into the blinding light. The house was much cleaner than I last remembered. Large, drooping candles lit the small table covered with food. I turned to Laerr. “Very nice atmosphere, but that doesn't mean anything.”
Laerr half smiled as he pulled out a chair for me. He motioned for me to sit. “But what if it does?”
I sat in the chair and refused to answer. I knew what he was going to say.
He walked around to the other side of the table and sat in the chair there. His golden eyes lit up in the candlelight. He was trying too hard.
The dinner was delicious, but it didn't matter. He wanted something from me; it was written all over his face. I finally just asked him, “What do you want?”
His coy smile spread as he rose from his seat. “There is only one thing I desire,” he mused, making his way around to my seat. He pulled out my chair and pulled me to my feet. I kept my back to him.
One of his hands pushed my hair onto one shoulder and rested atop my shoulder. His other hand gently clasped mine, weaving his fingers in between my own. “You,” he whispered in my ear.
His breath on my neck sent chills up and down my spine. There was no way he would get what he wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment